Saturday, 19 January 2008

24 Dec 07 - Lugano Day 1

On Xmas Eve, Andi and I went separate ways (trip-wise haha), he towards the North, in particular, the UK and Amsterdam, and I towards the South.

Lugano, a tiny scenic city, in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, was the next destination. It was merely an hour's train ride from Milan. My first impression of the locals was excellent as many of them graciously tried their best to help me locate my hostel despite not being able to speak English.

The hostel, Montarina, was in fact but a 5 minute walk from the train station! I actually walked right past it before turning to the locals for help as it looked too much like a hotel to be a backpackers'. The place was great: well upkept, very accessible and priced only at 25 CHF per night. Stayed there and relaxed until Cheuk Feng, my next travelling buddy, arrived an hour later.


above: Montarina

We headed out to grab lunch at the city centre, a 10-minute walk from our hostel. To reach the centre, one had to descend the steepest street I'd ever seen in my life. It was so steep that steps are cut out by the side to facilitate climbing and there is even a funiculore, a 'cable-car' that transports people from the city centre, to the top of the steep street, near the train station, where the residential area is.




above: A delightful Xmas market at the city centre

After a kebap lunch (one of the few eateries opened then), Cheuk and I went to check out Lago di Lugano (Lake Lugano), which was sparkling splendidly in the sun's rays. With mountains too forming the picturesque backdrop, it was impossible not to go trigger-happy. (NB: Lugano is so small that everything is close to everything else!)






Walking along the lake, towards Parco Civico (the Civic Park), we saw 2 retired old men playing chess on a life-size chessboard, parents pushing toddlers in prams, the occasional ripples in the lake when the many ducks and swans play their chasing games, I found myself unconsciously smiling.

Inside Parco Civico:



Parco Civico at dusk:


left: a small family enjoying the sunset
right: a lone fisherman still trying his luck

At that time, I was feeling pretty nauseous and cold so we went back to the hostel, where I rushed to the toilet to puke. It probably due to food-poisoning from the kebap in the afternoon. I felt much better after getting it all out and joined Cheuk eating some snacks the hostel kindly provided as part of its Xmas Eve celebration.


Cheuk drinking to Xmas! Tchin tchin!

No comments: