Tuesday, 26 February 2008

11 Jan 08 - Les examens ont terminé!

Had the last of my 4 exams yesterday. It had to end with a bang I suppose, except that this was more like a shot that nearly killed Lynn and I.

This particular one was on geology, so for the two soon-to-be chemists, who recognize carbon in the form of chains rather than as one of the types of deposits in deltas, even studying it was a nightmare. It didn't help that the lecturer's voice, in his soothing french accent, lulled us to slumberland more often than not.

Anyway, the exam questions were completely different from what we had anticipated! They really test your understanding of the subject by having all questions application-based. I daresay without exaggerating that there was 90 percent of which I had no clue about even though I had studied the material. The technical terms in french were an even bigger obstacle to comprehending the questions - was perhaps barking up the wrong tree for many of the questions. There weren't any questions on memorizing definitions, explaining the formation of a certain geological entity, unlike how NUS likes it, but more of interpretation and explanation of real-life scenarios.

The good news is that the exam counts for only 50% of the grade and the lecturer, during the exam, very kindly walked over to me to ask if there was anything I didn't understand. I said yes, quite a bit. And then he said something like: we'll see about the grades, don't worry too much.

Of course, I'd rather pass the exam based on my own merit and not due to the kindness of the prof but without the latter's help, things look bleak.

On a much more positive note, it's skiing at Chamrousse tomorrow and home on the 19th!

No comments: